W E L C O M E
to the virtual headquarters of the Filipino-American Association of Greater Columbia, SC (FAAGC), a voluntary organization to promote inter-cultural education and understanding.
Duly registered and incorporated in the state of South Carolina in 1991, FAAGC is an all-volunteer, IRS-approved 501(c)(4) tax-exempt, non-profit organization.
As specified in its By-laws, the objectives of FAAGC are:
to promote better relations between Filipinos in the U.S. and their communities of residence;
to preserve and promote the rich cultural heritage of Filipinos and provide mechanisms for its introduction to the American culture;
to provide charitable assistance when and where needed; and
to provide opportunities for Filipinos and other interested parties to meet and promote friendship and good fellowship.
Super Typhoon Haiyan
• FAAGC will be donating some funds for the relief of the victims of the recent super typhoon Yolanda (international name: Haiyan) in the Philippines. Anyone interested in donating to the calamity relief fund can contact FAAGC President Cecille Jacobsen (803-565-0272) or the other officers for details.
(Philippine Name: Yolanda)
If you wish to donate through our organization, you can send a check payable to FAAGC, with a note that it is for the typhoon relief fund, to:
Columbia Fil-Am Association, Attn: Treasurer
P.O. Box 24112, Columbia, SC 29224
• FAAGC would like to express its gratitude and appreciation to all the monetary and goods donors, food donors, food service workers, basketball participants, purchasers of the food, and other volunteers for helping to make the Filipino Food Sale & Basketball Exhibition Tournament on November 16 at the Polo Road Recreation Center a success despite the short notice.
Money raised from the food sale and other on-going fundraisers will be donated to the calamity victims through emergency relief organizations such as the Catholic Relief Services and Philippine Red Cross.
Some related quick-links:
• Philippine Government
official post-typhoon updates
• Google PeopleFinder-
• Official list of casualties -Typhoon Yolanda
• How to Help Typhoon Yolanda survivors
• Ways to Make Personal Donations
• AT&T, Verizon Waive Fees to Philippines
• NBCNews Continuing Coverage of Philippine Calamity
• Reuters Slideshow of Post-typhoon Coverage
Local Coverage & Interviews of FAAGC Members:
• WLTX: Midlands Residents Clinging to Hope After Philippines Typhoon
• WACH: Typhoon Haiyan having an impact in the Midlands
• Filipino-American association in the midlands to donate funds for typhoon victims
• Midlands Filipino Organization Helps Typhoon Survivors
• Filipino-American Association of Greater Columbia hosting typhoon relief fundraiser
• Raising money for those in the Phillippines
|Calendar of Events
Columbia Fil-Am Christmas Party
• December 14, 2013 (Saturday, 6:00 p.m.)
• St. John Neumann School Gymnasium
(721 Polo Road, Columbia SC 29223)
The Columbia Fil-Am Annual Christmas Party will be held on Saturday,
December 14, 2013 at the St. John Neumann School Gymnasium, starting at 6:00 p.m.
The annual holiday celebration will feature a Filipino food buffet and entertainment numbers showcasing the Columbia Fil-Am Dance Troupe. Santa Claus will drop in for a visit and there will be the usual dancing to DJ music.
To cover costs for venue, DJ and food, tickets for the Christmas Party are now on sale. Required for entry and food service, all tickets must be pre-purchased. Buy tickets from any FAAGC officer or contact Cecille Jacobsen at 803-566-0272.
Tickets are $ 12 for members, $15 for non-members. Tickets for children 6-12 years old are $8 each; children under six years are free.
Parents, please bring ONE present per child for Santa to hand out; kindly print full name of child on the present.
Visit your favorite mapmaker: Bing Maps or Google Maps or Mapquest or Yahoo Maps for maps and specific directions from your address to
the Christmas party venue.
• FAAGC's Charitable Endeavors •
Since its formation, FAAGC has been involved in charitable activities -- from providing funds and goods to calamity victims in the U.S. and the Philippines to donations to Philippines orphanages to participation in other organizations' charity events.
In the past it has donated to, among others:
• The Hospicio de San Jose Orphanage in Metro Manila.
• The Catholic Relief Services for the relief of the flood victims of Typhoon Ondoy
• San Vicente de Paul Orphanage in Manila
• SOS Village in Tacloban, Leyte
• The ERDA Foundation helping children in Metro Manila
• The Philippine National Red Cross for relief of Philippine calamity victims and for its special educational projects
Updates & Notices
Photo galleries of recent FAAGC activities (Gala, Christmas Party, International Festival, other get-togethers) can be viewed at the Columbia Fil-Am Facebook site.
FAAGC Executive Board for 2013-2015
Cecille Jacobsen (President)
, Jocelyn Locke (Secretary)
, Tess Hill (Board Member)
, Prescy Ramirez (Treasurer)
, Sheena Shearer (Asst. Secretary)
, Carlos Arevalo (Board Member)
, Miriam Eschenfelder (Asst. Treasurer)
, Edith Alston (Board Member)
, Alma Robichaud (Board Member)
, Faye Colley (1st VP)
. Not In Photo:
Eric Sosa (2nd VP)
, Bong Rances (Board Member)
Columbia Fil-Am Cultural Dance Troupe
If you and/or your child or children like to dance or learn to dance, Columbia FilAm Dance Troupe may be your ticket! The volunteer dancers perform during the Annual Gala, Christmas Party, Columbia International Festival, and other socio-educational-cultural events in the area.
• Some Columbia Fil-Am Dance Troupe video clips:
• To join the troupe, contact the dance coordinators: Faye Colley (children); Odess Brinkman (teens), or Yani Irag-Gould (adults).
• To avail of the services of the troupe for your event, contact FAAGC President Cecilia Jacobsen at (803) 565-0272.
• Subli . . . . . . . . . . . . .
• Pandango Rinconada 1
• Bulaklakan . . . . . . . .
• Pandango Rinconada 2
• Tiklos. . . . . . . . . . . .
• Sayaw sa Bakya
• Check out the latest issue of the Fil-Am Bulletin, FAAGC's official newsletter.
Summer 2013 - Volume 23, No. 1, issued August 2013 - (2.3 MB)
• Past issues of Fil-Am Bulletin:
Spring 2013 - Volume 22, No. 2, issued March 2013 - (3.4 MB)
Summer 2012 - Volume 22, No. 1, issued August 2012 - (3.6 MB)
Spring 2012 - Volume 21, No. 3, issued May 2012 - (4.8 MB)
Fall 2011 - Volume 21, No. 2, issued December 2011 - (7.1 MB)
Summer 2011 - Volume 21, No. 1, issued August 2011 - (6.5 MB)
Spring 2011 - Volume 20, No. 2, issued April 2011 - (5.3 MB)
Summer 2010 - Volume 20, No. 1, issued August 2010 - (6.1 MB)
Winter 2010 - Volume 19, No. 2, issued December 2009 - (5.7 MB)
Summer 2009 - Volume 19, No. 1, issued August 2009 - (2.4 MB)
Spring 2009 - Volume 18, No. 2, issued March 2008 - (1.9 MB)
Summer 2008 - Volume 18, No. 1, issued August 2008 - (745 KB)
Spring 2008 - Volume 17, No. 2, issued March 2008 - (1.5 MB)
Summer 2007 - Volume 17, No. 1, issued August 2007 - (773 KB)
Spring 2007 - Volume 16, No. 3, issued March 2007 - (1.8 MB)
Fall 2006 - Volume 16, No. 2, issued November 2006 - (1.4 MB)
Summer 2006 - Volume 16, No. 1, issued August 2006 - (2.0 MB)
Spring 2006 - Volume 15, No. 3, issued March 2006 - (1.0 MB)
Fall 2005 - Volume 15, No. 2, issued November 2005 - (2.0 MB)
Summer 2005 - Volume 15, No. 1, issued August 2005 - (1.3 MB)
Spring 2005 - Volume 14, No. 3, issued March 2005 - (1.5 MB)
Earlier issues (2001 - 2004) can be found here.
Other Fil-Am websites in South Carolina:
• Organizations •
• Filipino Community Center of Charleston
• Hiyas-Min, the Philippine Cultural Society of Charleston
• Philippine-American Association of the Carolinas - Greenville/Spartanburg/Upstate SC
• Filipino-American Association of Orangeburg, ATBP
• Bicol Association of Charleston
• Other Relevant Fil-Am Links •
• Taravision site about Filipinos and the Philippines