W E L C O M E
to the virtual headquarters of the Filipino-American Association of Greater Columbia, SC (FAAGC), a voluntary organization to promote inter-cultural education and understanding.
Duly registered and incorporated in the state of South Carolina in 1991, FAAGC is an all-volunteer, IRS-approved 501(c)(4) tax-exempt, non-profit organization.
As specified in its By-laws, the objectives of FAAGC are:
to promote better relations between Filipinos in the U.S. and their communities of residence;
to preserve and promote the rich cultural heritage of Filipinos and provide mechanisms for its introduction to the American culture;
to provide charitable assistance when and where needed; and
to provide opportunities for Filipinos and other interested parties to meet and promote friendship and good fellowship.
• Check out the latest issue of the Fil-Am Bulletin, FAAGC's official newsletter.
• Achievements Galore •
All Columbia-area Fil-Ams are reminded to send in the details of recent (School Year 2012-2013) graduation, awards, honors, other achievements,etc. of members of their family for the upcoming annual "Achievements Galore" issue of the Fil-Am Bulletin (Summer 2013).
View or download the "Achievements Galore" info form. Send info and photos by July 15 to FAAGC @ hotmail.com or mail to: FAAGC, Attn: FAB Editor, P.O. Box 24112, Columbia, SC 29224.
View the 2012 Achievements Galore
|Calendar of Events
Columbia Fil-Am Annual Summer Picnic & Membership Appreciation Day
• June 15, 2013, Saturday, 1:00 p.m.
• Weston Lake Recreation Area at Ft. Jackson [4420 block of Leesburg Road (SC-262), Hopkins, SC 29061] (about 9 miles from the intersection of Leesburg Road and Garners Ferry Road)
Time to cool off during the annual summertime Fil-Am get-together. We will also have a brief program to acknowledge and appreciate the FAAGC volunteers.
This is a POTLUCK picnic so please bring a 2-liter bottle of soda and a covered dish to share according to the first letter of your last name as follows: A-B: Beef dish
C : Chicken
D-E: Vegetable dish
F-H: Dessert (cakes, cookies, fruits, etc.)
I-K: Fish dish
L-O: Bread, Pizza, fried rice
P-S: Pork dish
T-Z: Noodles (pancit, palabok)
FAAGC will provide: hotdogs, hamburgers, rice, ice, plates, utensils, condiments, etc.
Those who wish to spend more time at the park can come earlier and all are encouraged to bring portable or folding chairs. Picnic-goers can go swimming or fishing (with proper licenses) or use self-powered watercraft (e.g., paddleboats, kayaks, and canoes are available for rent) at the site.
For more details and directions to the venue, e-mail us or contact Marj Pena [(803) 360-2469] or the other FAAGC officers.
Click here or here for a map and specific directions from your address to the entrance of the Weston Lake Recreation Area.
Columbia Fil-Am 23rd Annual Gala
• September 21, 2013, Saturday, 6:00 p.m.
• Columbia Marriott Hotel (1200 Hampton Street, Columbia, SC 29201)
Details will be announced later.
Buy your tickets early! -- Tickets now available from FAAGC officers.
• FAAGC's Charitable Endeavors •
Since its formation, FAAGC has been involved in charitable activities -- from providing funds and goods to calamity victims in the U.S. and the Philippines to donations to Philippines orphanages to participation in other organizations' charity events.
In the past it has donated to, among others:
• The Hospicio de San Jose Orphanage in Metro Manila.
• The Catholic Relief Services for the relief of the flood victims of Typhoon Ondoy
• San Vicente de Paul Orphanage in Manila
• SOS Village in Tacloban, Leyte
• The ERDA Foundation helping children in Metro Manila
• The Philippine National Red Cross for relief of Philippine calamity victims
Recently, FAAGC sponsored Hole #1 of the FACC-Charlotte Charity Golf Tournament conducted by the Filipino-American Community of the Carolinas (FACC) on Aug. 28, 2010 at the Red Bridge Golf & Country Club in Locust, NC. Columbia Fil-Am golfers M. Cuaresma, J. Kenerson, and A. Matienzo participated in the charity event.
Updates & Notices
Photo galleries of recent FAAGC activities (Gala, Christmas Party, International Festival, other get-togethers) can be viewed at the Columbia Fil-Am Facebook site.
• Additional 2011 Gala photos by Ronnie Corn.
Congratulations to the newly-elected
FAAGC Executive Board for 2013-2015
Alma Robichaud (Board Member)
, Prescy Ramirez (Treasurer)
, Edith Alston (Board Member)
, Cecilia Jacobsen (President)
, Eric Sosa (2nd VP)
, Carlos Arevalo & Bong Rances (Board Members)
. Not In Photo:
Faye Colley (1st VP)
, Jocelyn Locke (Secretary)
, Sheena Shearer (Asst. Secretary)
, Miriam Eschenfelder (Asst. Treasurer)
, Tess Hill (Board Member)
FAAGC Executive Board for 2011-2013:
(front row, l-r): Carlos Arevalo, Bong Rances, Peter Liunoras, Rio Daquilanea (Board Members)
(back row, l-r): Grace Balanquit (2nd VP), Odess Brinkman (Secretary), Marj Peña (President), Lisa Edwards (1st VP), Bambie Tijing (Asst. Treasurer), Nieves McNulty (Treasurer), Grace Collins (Board Member, Faye Colley (Asst. Secretary).
Philippine Ambassador Gaa Inducts FAAGC Officers:
Philippine Ambassador to the U.S. Willy C. Gaa (6th from left, above) was the special guest of honor at the FAAGC 2009 Gala on August 29 and he inducted the new Executive Board into office. [Photo by Carlton Edwards]
FAAGC Hosts Reception for Ambassador & Mrs. Gaa:
More photos taken during the 2009 Gala and the reception for Ambassador Gaa can be viewed at:
• FAAGC's Facebook site
• the KodakGallery
• Alan G's site
The next day, the Association held a potluck reception for the Ambassador and his wife Linda. [Photo by Marj Pena]
Columbia Fil-Am Cultural Dance Troupe
If you and/or your child or children like to dance or learn to dance, Columbia FilAm Dance Troupe may be your ticket! The volunteer dancers perform during the Annual Gala, Christmas Party, Columbia International Festival, and other socio-educational-cultural events in the area.
• Some Columbia Fil-Am Dance Troupe video clips:
• To join the troupe, contact the dance coordinators: Faye Colley (children); Odess Brinkman (teens), or Yani Irag-Gould (adults).
• To avail of the services of the troupe for your event, contact FAAGC President Marj Pena at (803) 360-2469.
• Subli . . . . . . . . . . . . .
• Pandango Rinconada 1
• Bulaklakan . . . . . . . .
• Pandango Rinconada 2
• Tiklos. . . . . . . . . . . . .
• Other Folk Dances
• Columbia Fil-Am dancers performed bulaklakan, tinikling, and Jovencita at the International Peace Day celebration held at the Unitarian-Universalist Fellowship of Columbia on September 20. More photos (courtesy of Carlton & Lisa Edwards) are available at the FAACG Facebook site.
• Check out the latest issue of the Fil-Am Bulletin, FAAGC's official newsletter.
Spring 2013 - Volume 22, No. 2, issued March 2013 - (3.4 MB)
• Past issues of Fil-Am Bulletin:
Summer 2012 - Volume 22, No. 1, issued August 2012 - (lo-res=1.9 MB ••• hi-res=3.6 MB)
Spring 2012 - Volume 21, No. 3, issued May 2012 - (lo-res=1.8 MB ••• hi-res=4.8 MB)
Fall 2011 - Volume 21, No. 2, issued December 2011 - (lo-res=4.1 MB ••• hi-res=7.1 MB)
Summer 2011 - Volume 21, No. 1, issued August 2011 - (lo-res=2.5 MB ••• hi-res=6.5 MB)
Spring 2011 - Volume 20, No. 2, issued April 2011 - (lo-res=1.9 MB ••• hi-res=5.3 MB)
Summer 2010 - Volume 20, No. 1, issued August 2010 - (lo-res=2.5 MB ••• hi-res=6.1 MB)
Winter 2010 - Volume 19, No. 2, issued December 2009 - (lo-res=2.0 MB ••• hi-res=5.7 MB)
Summer 2009 - Volume 19, No. 1, issued August 2009 - (2.4 MB)
Spring 2009 - Volume 18, No. 2, issued March 2008 - (1.9 MB)
Summer 2008 - Volume 18, No. 1, issued August 2008 - (745 KB)
Spring 2008 - Volume 17, No. 2, issued March 2008 - (1.5 MB)
Summer 2007 - Volume 17, No. 1, issued August 2007 - (773 KB)
Spring 2007 - Volume 16, No. 3, issued March 2007 - (1.8 MB)
Fall 2006 - Volume 16, No. 2, issued November 2006 - (1.4 MB)
Summer 2006 - Volume 16, No. 1, issued August 2006 - (2.0 MB)
Spring 2006 - Volume 15, No. 3, issued March 2006 - (1.0 MB)
Fall 2005 - Volume 15, No. 2, issued November 2005 - (2.0 MB)
Summer 2005 - Volume 15, No. 1, issued August 2005 - (1.3 MB)
Spring 2005 - Volume 14, No. 3, issued March 2005 - (1.5 MB)
Earlier issues (2001 - 2004) can be found here.
• Download a Columbia Fil-Am membership application form.
• Download the Columbia Fil-Am Association By-Laws.
• Download a Columbia Fil-Am Scholarship application form.
• View Columbia Fil-Am milestones.
Other Fil-Am websites in South Carolina:
• Organizations •
• Filipino Community Center of Charleston
• Hiyas-Min, the Philippine Cultural Society of Charleston
• Philippine-American Association of the Carolinas - Greenville/Spartanburg/Upstate SC
• Filipino-American Association of Orangeburg, ATBP
• Bicol Association of Charleston
• Other Relevant Fil-Am Links •
• Taravision site about Filipinos and the Philippines