Calendar of Events
Columbia International Festival
• April 18-19, 2015 (Saturday-Sunday)
• SC State Fairgrounds (1200 Rosewood Drive, Columbia, SC 29201)
The Philippines and the Southern Pacific Islands will be the focus of the 20th Annual Columbia International Festival to be held at the SC State Fairgrounds on April 18-19, 2015.
• Come see the Columbia FilAm Dance Troupe and Charleston's Hiyas-Min perform Phillippine folk dances and the Columbia Fil-Am Children Chorus sing.
• Stop by and view our Philippine national exhibit.
• Savor adobo, pansit, lumpia and other Filipino delicacies at the Philippine Food Booth. Be sure to sample a cup of kapeng barako and the array of Filipino desserts such as cassava cake, palitaw, biko, and pastries.
• And don’t forget to shop at the Philippine Bazaar.
For performance times and more information about this weekend when "the world comes to Columbia," check the festival website.
Columbia Fil-Am Annual Summer Picnic & Membership Appreciation Day
• June 13, 2015, Saturday, 1:00 p.m.
• Weston Lake Recreation Area at Ft. Jackson [4420 block of Leesburg Road (SC-262), Hopkins, SC 29061] (about 9 miles from the intersection of Leesburg Road and Garners Ferry Road)
Time to cool off during the annual summertime Fil-Am get-together. We will also have a brief program to acknowledge and appreciate the FAAGC volunteers.
This is a POTLUCK event so please bring a 2-liter bottle of soda or water and a covered dish to share.
For more details and directions to the venue, e-mail us or contact FAAGC President Cecilia Jacobsen (803-565-0272) or the other FAAGC officers.
Click here or here for a map and specific directions from your address to the entrance of the Weston Lake Recreation Area.
Columbia Fil-Am 25th Annual Gala
• September 19, 2015, Saturday, 6:00 p.m.
• Columbia Marriott Hotel (1200 Hampton Street, Columbia, SC 29201)
• The Filipino-American Association of Greater Columbia, South Carolina (FAAGC) will celebrate its 25th Annual Gala on Saturday, September 19, 2015.
The gala, which is the organization’s annual fund-raising activity to benefit its scholarship fund, charitable endeavors, and other educational and multi-cultural activities in the Midlands of South Carolina, will be held from 6 P.M. to midnight at the downtown Columbia Marriott Hotel.
More details will be coming soon!
• Achievements Galore •
All Columbia-area Fil-Ams are reminded to send in the details of recent (School Year 2014-2015) graduation, awards, honors, other achievements, etc. of members of their family for the upcoming annual "Achievements Galore" issue of the Fil-Am Bulletin (Summer 2015).
View or download the "Achievements Galore" info form. Send info and photos by July 15 to FAAGC @ hotmail.com or mail to: FAAGC, Attn: FAB Editor, P.O. Box 24112, Columbia, SC 29224.
View the 2014 Achievements Galore
Graduating Fil-Am high school students are reminded to apply now for the Columbia Fil-Am Scholarship
Started in 2002, the Fil-Am scholarship awards are given to college-bound students who have participated actively in FAAGC activities and whose families are paid FAAGC members for at least one year. As specified by the Executive Board recently, criteria are involvement in FAAGC (50%), academics (30%), and interview/essay (20%).
Download a Columbia Fil-Am Scholarship application form
. Send completed form by June 30
to FAAGC @ hotmail.com
or mail to: FAAGC, Attn: Scholarship Committee
, P.O. Box 24112, Columbia, SC 29224.
Updates & Notices
Photo galleries of recent FAAGC activities (Gala, Christmas Party, International Festival, other get-togethers) can be viewed at the Columbia Fil-Am Facebook site.
FAAGC Executive Board for 2014-2015
Cecille Jacobsen (President)
, Jocelyn Locke (Secretary)
, Tess Hill (Board Member)
, Prescy Ramirez (Treasurer)
, Sheena Shearer (Asst. Secretary)
, Carlos Arevalo (Board Member)
, Miriam Eschenfelder (Asst. Treasurer)
, Edith Alston (Board Member)
, Alma Robichaud (Board Member)
, Faye Colley (1st VP)
. Not In Photo:
Eric Sosa (2nd VP)
, Peter Liunoras (Board Member)
Congratulations to the newly elected
FAAGC Executive Board for 2015-2017
Glenn De Guzman (Board Member)
, Peter Liunoras (Board Member)
, Cecille Jacobsen (President)
, James Orlick (Board Member)
, Miriam Eschenfelder (Treasurer)
, Anna Temples (Asst. Treasurer)
, Tess Hill (1st VP)
. Doris Matos (Asst. Secretary)
, Reyna Funderburk (Secretary)
, Al Cockerel (Board Member)
, Odess Brinkman (2nd VP)
, Carlos Arevalo (Board Member)
Columbia Fil-Am Cultural Dance Troupe
If you and/or your child or children like to dance or learn to dance, Columbia FilAm Dance Troupe may be your ticket! The volunteer dancers perform during the Annual Gala, Christmas Party, Columbia International Festival, and other socio-educational-cultural events in the area.
• Some Columbia Fil-Am Dance Troupe video clips:
• To join the troupe, contact the dance coordinators: Faye Colley (children); Helen Alon (teens), or Yani Irag-Gould (adults).
• To avail of the services of the troupe for your event, contact FAAGC President Cecilia Jacobsen at (803) 565-0272.
• Subli . . . . . . . . . . . . .
• Pandango Rinconada 1
• Bulaklakan . . . . . . . .
• Pandango Rinconada 2
• Tiklos. . . . . . . . . . . .
• Sayaw sa Bakya
• Check out the latest issue of the Fil-Am Bulletin, FAAGC's official newsletter.
Spring 2015 - Volume 24, No. 2, issued Mach 2015 - (2.6 MB)
• Past issues of Fil-Am Bulletin:
Summer 2014 - Volume 24, No. 1, issued September 2014 - (2.8 MB)
Spring 2014 - Volume 23, No. 2, issued April 2014 - (3.0 MB)
Summer 2013 - Volume 23, No. 1, issued August 2013 - (2.3 MB)
Spring 2013 - Volume 22, No. 2, issued March 2013 - (3.4 MB)
Summer 2012 - Volume 22, No. 1, issued August 2012 - (3.6 MB)
Spring 2012 - Volume 21, No. 3, issued May 2012 - (4.8 MB)
Fall 2011 - Volume 21, No. 2, issued December 2011 - (7.1 MB)
Summer 2011 - Volume 21, No. 1, issued August 2011 - (6.5 MB)
Spring 2011 - Volume 20, No. 2, issued April 2011 - (5.3 MB)
Summer 2010 - Volume 20, No. 1, issued August 2010 - (6.1 MB)
Winter 2010 - Volume 19, No. 2, issued December 2009 - (5.7 MB)
Summer 2009 - Volume 19, No. 1, issued August 2009 - (2.4 MB)
Spring 2009 - Volume 18, No. 2, issued March 2008 - (1.9 MB)
Summer 2008 - Volume 18, No. 1, issued August 2008 - (745 KB)
Spring 2008 - Volume 17, No. 2, issued March 2008 - (1.5 MB)
Summer 2007 - Volume 17, No. 1, issued August 2007 - (773 KB)
Spring 2007 - Volume 16, No. 3, issued March 2007 - (1.8 MB)
Fall 2006 - Volume 16, No. 2, issued November 2006 - (1.4 MB)
Summer 2006 - Volume 16, No. 1, issued August 2006 - (2.0 MB)
Spring 2006 - Volume 15, No. 3, issued March 2006 - (1.0 MB)
Fall 2005 - Volume 15, No. 2, issued November 2005 - (2.0 MB)
Summer 2005 - Volume 15, No. 1, issued August 2005 - (1.3 MB)
Spring 2005 - Volume 14, No. 3, issued March 2005 - (1.5 MB)
Earlier issues (2001 - 2004) can be found here.
Other Fil-Am websites in South Carolina:
• Organizations •
• Filipino Community Center of Charleston
• Hiyas-Min, the Philippine Cultural Society of Charleston
• Philippine-American Association of the Carolinas - Greenville/Spartanburg/Upstate SC
• Filipino-American Association of Orangeburg, ATBP
• Bicol Association of Charleston
• Other Relevant Fil-Am Links •
• Taravision site about Filipinos and the Philippines